GLOBAL REGENTS UPDATE
1. ALL STUDENTS ARE TAKING THE TRANSITION EXAM THIS YEAR ON JUNE 5TH YES I KNOW IT IS HARD FOR SOME OF YOU TO BELIEVE, BUT THERE IS NO OTHER EXAM. (YES I AM CAPITALIZING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION HAHAHA)
Moving forward after June 5th SED is allowing districts to target groups of kids with the assessments. If you have a group of students who are not in the new framework course, because they passed the Old 2 year Global class, but didn't pass the regents, you can give the transitional test to them and the new framework test to the rest of the students.
2. The framework regents and the transitional regents will obviously be given at different times beginning in June of 2019, HOWEVER THE SCSD HAS DECIDED TO ONLY GIVE ONE EXAM MOVING FORWARD WHICH IS THE NEW EXAM IN JUNE OF 2019.
3. Change is coming to the part 2:
--In all likelihood there will be only 2 (two) part 2 questions. Field testing indicated 2 are comfortable for the kids, 3 is pushing the envelope.
-- Each part 2 question will be three pages: Document A will be on page one with the question, Document B on page 2 with the questions, and a miniature of both documents will be on page 3 with the third question so students won't have to flip back and forth
---A more detailed historical context will be given with each question. for example a more detailed explanation of the author of document 2 so students possibly can see bias in the author's background.
-- Definitions will be provided on the test for the terms so the students will understand (reliability, bias, point of view, purpose)
4. A sample of questions for each part of the global regents is coming but no definite date.
5. Rubrics are being finalized the rubric for the enduring issue essay is remarkably like the DBQ rubric no definite date for release
6. Scoring for Part 2 will be 0 or 1 point - no 2 point questions.
7. In March those districts that will have to grade their transitional regents early will be notified (10% of the state). FOR THE SCSD, CORCORAN HIGH SCHOOL HAS BEEN CHOSEN. They will send their data to Albany and it will be used to set cut scores. Those districts that aren't required to send data to state can grade their Global regents during regular regents week. THEREFORE PLEASE NOTE THAT NOTTINGHAM AND ITC TEACHERS WILL BE GRADING THE REGENTS EXAMS ON JUNE 6TH.
8. Grids for final scores will be sent to districts Thursday, June 22nd
9. The Framework Regents offered in June 2019, will also require an early date in June (see 7 above)
REGENTS AMERICAN HISTORY UPDATE
1. The rollout date is June 2020. Donna was not incorrect in October when she said it might be delayed but since then they have finalized the date.
2. Part 2 and 3 will be similar but not the same as the Global because the American curriculum is a great deal more content rich than Global, or American has been in the past. THEY ARE NOT THROWING OUT THE SKILLS THE KIDS DEVELOPED IN WRITING THE ENDURING ISSUES ESSAY, the American essay will be like an enduring issue essay , for example, possibly Constitutional issues. The plan is to build on the skills used in Global on part 2 and 3 but raising the bar.
3. Field testing of American Stimulus based - May 2018
4. A plan for a prototype American is being developed and will be more "user friendly" than the Global prototype.